A resource and guide to presenting performances in libraries
Shows Among the Shelves is a project created for theatre practitioners looking to expand into library touring. Scary Little Girls piloted libraries performances in 2016 and 2017 thanks to Arts Council England funding. It went down a storm and in the Shows Among the Shelves resource we share what we have learnt.
- Romance – why libraries are a great opportunity for both the library and the theatre company
- Mystery – removing the uncertainty
- Other cultures – libraries and arts organisations are very different and have different processes
- People and places – performances which work well and utilising the right space
- Business – budgeting and ticket selling
- Local interest – libraries know their local audiences
- Large print – seven things to bear in mind throughout
- Recommended reading – further resources and contacts to make use of
- Shows Among the Shelves checklist – a question and answer sheet to confirm all the details with your library
- How the library can market the performance
- Letter of agreement between the library and the company artist
- A draft ‘terms of agreement’ document
- An example press release
- Evaluation questions
Download a copy
To download your copy of Shows Among the Shelves for use with your theatre company, please enter your email address below. By submitting your email address you agree that you are happy to receive emails from us from time-to-time with further information which may be related to Shows Among the Shelves and work by Scary Little Girls.
We hope it’s helpful for getting your libraries tour off the ground, it’ll be a great and rewarding experience!